Our hair – we straighten it, curl it, dye it, cut it, and even perm it to suit our aesthetic needs and preferences. Still, no matter how much we try to protect it from heat, chemicals, and the elements, your hair is bound to experience some degree of damage. So, how exactly do you protect your hair from it all? Let us break it down for you, the Function of Beauty way.
What is hair damage?
Hair damage occurs when the protective, outer layer of your hair, also known as the cuticle, is compromised; leaving cracks in its exterior. Once cracked, the cuticle lifts, resulting in dull, dry, frizzy, or brittle hair. It can be a nightmare, but all hope is not lost! While you may not be able to completely repair hair that is already damaged, there are still plenty of steps you can take to help prevent it from happening in the future.
What causes hair damage?
Hair damage can stem from a variety of causes – from your diet, to your styling routine, to even your brushing technique. Here are some of the most common causes of hair damage:
- Heat exposure
- Lack of moisture
- Rough towel drying
- Tight hairstyles
- Chemical exposure (pollutants or coloring + perming)
- Irregular haircuts
How can I know if my hair is damaged?
The most common telltale signs of hair damage are very easy to spot. If you feel that your hair experiences any of the following, your hair is most likely damaged:
- Split ends
- Frequent tangling
What can I do to help my damaged hair?
While hair damage is irreversible, there are plenty of custom products and beneficial actions you can take to address the signs and prevent further harm.
At Function of Beauty, we recommend steering clear of the most common hair damage causes. Avoid bleach, don’t color your hair too often, trim your ends when needed, invest in anti-breakage hair ties and microfiber towels, and incorporate a heat protectant into your routine. The smallest of changes can make the biggest difference.
How can Function of Beauty help with hair damage?
Combating damage à la Custom is not only effective, but safe too. Our Function of Beauty lab recommends:
- Custom Hair Mask: this weekly treatment not only delivers major moisture, but also diminishes frizz and dryness with each use.
- Custom Leave-in Conditioner: perfect for dry or wet hair, this all-star product delivers a boost of hydration and shine.
- Custom Hair Serum: protect your hair up to 400℉ with this award-winning, lightweight hair serum that also reduces frizz and flyaways.
- Deep Condition #hairgoal: Deeply condition dry damaged hair, restoring softness, smoothness, and shine lost from heat and/or chemical processing.
- Fix Split Ends #hairgoal: Smooth and coat your split ends for a sleek hair surface while building moisture content to minimize future split ends.
- Replenish Hair #hairgoal: Replenish damaged, nutrient-depleted strands and protect your hair from environmental stressors.
- Thermal Protection #hairgoal: Moisturize and condition heat damaged hair while protecting strands from future damage caused by thermal styling.
Want to add these to your custom hair routine? Head to the Hair Quiz or update your formula!